* printer friendly Recipe *
(adapted from recipegirl)
- 12 Tbs. (1 1/2 sticks) of butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup natural cocoa powder
- 1½ cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
Butterscotch Sauce Ingredients:
(recipe adapted from smittenkitchen)
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons, 2 ounces or 1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. of sea salt (if you prefer less, use 1/2-1/4 tsp.)
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Scotch Whisky (optional)
Brownies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
Put butter and chocolate in a medium heavy-duty saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until well blended. Gradually whisk in sugar and then whisk vigorously until well blended. Whisk in melted chocolate mixture, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk in flour and cocoa powder until blended. Stir in the walnuts and then scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing it into an even layer with a spatula.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and, if necessary, gently press down any puffed areas with a spatula to make the top level. Cool completely before adding the butterscotch sauce.
Butterscotch: Melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar, cream and salt and whisk until well blended. Bring to a very gentle boil and cook for about five minutes, whisking occasionally.
Remove from heat and add one teaspoon of the vanilla extract, stirring to combine. Add more vanilla or salt until the butterscotch suits your taste.
Pour the hot sauce over the cooled brownies (it will thicken and firm up a bit as it cools). Spread around to form an even layer. Allow the brownies to sit for an hour before serving. Garnish with whole walnuts if desired.